Barn Hill Residents Association

T: 07503 664 973

Join BHRA today!



Conservation Areas are, by definition, areas of special architectural or historic interest, the character or appearance of which it is desirable to preserve or enhance. The Council has a duty to decide which parts of the Borough should be designated "Conservation Areas" and keep the question of designating further areas under review. The designation enables the Council to exercise control over the demolition of buildings and the loss of trees. Apart from this Council has specific development control powers, although the Council can seek to extend them to cover development that can normally be undertaken without the need for planning permission.

In designating an area as a Conservation Area the Council are required to pay special attention to the desirability of preserving or enhancing its character or appearance. This duty also falls upon applicants; planning applications in the area need also to be assessed in terms of their contribution to the character of the area. "Character" relates not only to street frontages but also to the rear garden scene enjoyed by residents.

Most buildings within a Conservation Area shall not be demolished either completely or in part without the consent in writing of the Council. Details of the exemptions are available from the Local Planning Authority. By way of example the removal of a chimney stack would count as demolition.

An application for consent to the demolition of such a building shall be made to the Council as a separate application for 'Conservation Area Consent' and shall not be taken to have been given as part of planning permission for development at the site.

The enlargement and alteration of properties in a Conservation Area without the need for planning permission is limited by the provisions of the Town and Country Planning General Development Order. The following are included in the restrictions:

Any building or enclosure within the grounds of a dwellinghouse required for a purpose incidental to the enjoyment of the dwelling (including swimming pools and garden sheds) is limited to 10 cu. m. in extent. Thus most garden sheds now require planning permission.

Planning Permission is required for any addition to a roof (including dormer windows) or in the case of a single family dwellinghouse for any extension whose cubic content exceeds 50 cubic metres or 10% of the original dwellinghouse subject to a maximum of 115 cubic metres whichever is the greater.

Planning permission is also required for cladding to the exterior of a dwelling with stone, artificial stone, timber, plastic or tiles.



The boundary of the Estate is shown in Pink, with the Conservation Area outlined in Yellow